Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Directing stove pipe horizontally thru wall tent window?

I bought a wall tent with side windows and questioning whether I can route my Winnerwell Woodlander stove pipe horizontally from the stove exit flange thru a 90-degree elbow straight out the window. This would save cutting holes in tent roof and rain fly. However, heat rises, so not sure if proper draft would be compromised going horizontal straight out of firebox. Yet, I have seen Youtube videos where this horizontal exit was used, and no comment mentioned that it was a problem. Any thoughts by anyone experiencing this option. Thanks.

Below is a photo illustration of my proposed plan.

[Image: zz-Winnerwell-Sample.jpg]

The problem of rain leakage in hot tents has always been a problem.
Horizontal stove pipes are one way to solve the problem of rain leakage. But this approach has different advantages and disadvantages.
Advantage:
1. Prevent rainwater from dripping into the tent from the stove jack cloth.
2. Prevent rainwater from dripping into the tent from the stove pipe.
3. It can increase the available space of the tent.
Disadvantages:
1. If the air outlet is horizontal, the smoke discharged from the stove pipe may be blown onto the tent cloth.
2. If the air outlet is horizontal plus vertical, the stove cannot get enough suction. This is not good for the burning inside the stove.
3. Better sealing treatment is required between stove pipes with different angles.
4. More complex devices for fixing stove pipes are required.